TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE 100 Points REQUIREMENTS
1. Identify a health problem or need for health promotion for a particular stage in the life span of a population from a specific culture in your area. Choose one of the Leading Health Indicators (LHI) priorities from Healthy People 2020 (see the Healthy People.gov 2020 Leading Health Indicators website link in the Assignment section for Unit 2 under “Web Links). Students in a cultural concentration will use that specific cultural focus to complete this assignment.
2. Research a topic related to health and wellness associated with one of the Healthy People 2020 topic areas. Students in a cultural concentration will use that specific cultural focus to complete this assignment.
3. Submit your topic to the instructor for approval at least 2 weeks prior to the assignment (during Unit 3) but earlier if desired. All topics must be approved.
4. You will develop an educational health promotion project addressing the population/culture in your area. For or example, if you are in the Hispanic concentration, your project might be educational interventions to address how food choices are related to the high rates of diabetes among Latinos; or, a community project that addresses the statistic that Hispanics experience new HIV infections at more than twice the rate of whites; or, finding opportunities to intervene with Puerto Ricans, a Hispanic subculture, who suffer asthma at twice the rate of the general population (2020 LHI Topic Three: Environmental Quality: (see the Healthy People.gov 2020 Leading Health Indicators website link in the Assignment section for Unit 2 under “Web Links).
5. General expectations
• All articles must be from nursing or scholarly journals and should include health promotion and wellness content. Articles must be published within the last five (5) years. If you are unsure whether the article is appropriate, ask your instructor. You could lose significant points if the article is not from a scholarly source and/or appropriate to the topic.
NR‐222 HEALTH AND WELLNESS
• Copies of articles from any Databases, whether PDF, MSWord, or any other electronic file format, cannot be sent via the Learning Management System (eCollege) Dropbox or through email, as this violates copyright law protections outlined in our subscription agreements. Refer to the “Policy” page under the Course Home tab in the shell for the directions for properly accessing and sending library articles electronically using permalinks.
• Please ask questions if you need clarification.