This is an individual assignment – complete both tasks 1 and 2
Background: The assignment is intended to bring out the benefits and limitations of different approaches to project planning and control by relating these to the circumstances in the cases outlined. It is also intended to allow students to demonstrate their learning and competence in respect of the effective project management with focus on resources, trade-offs among scope, cost and time, as well as key elements of the project life cycle.
Task 1 (40 marks) 700 words (+/- 10%) each short answer question requires a response in a few sentences for the questions awarded up to 4 – 6 marks and a paragraph for questions awarded up to 8 – 10 marks. Citations are essential to demonstrate students’ ability to fulfill academic writing style in accordance to Harvard referencing.
1) There are numerous literatures that identify different models for Project Life Cycle (PLC). Write short notes to discuss the role of the Project Life Cycle in Project Management.(8 marks)
2) Clear Sight Pte Ltd – a market leader that manufactures high-end optical scope fitted on hunting rifles for the past 30 years. Recently the top management has decided to diversify the business by applying its propreitary technology to develop a top-quality binocular. Which project structure would you recommend for your organisation? Together with a diagram, write short notes to describe the proposed structure and provide appropriate justifications to support your recommendation.(6 marks)
3) Your department is undergoing expansion and the work area needs to be reconfigured in order to accommodate additional headcount in the months ahead. Appointed as the project manager to spearhead the renovation work, you have mapped out the activities and durations in the table below:
Remove Existing Workstations
B & C
Setup New Workstations
i. What is the purpose of establishing a Project Network Diagram?
ii. Develop an AON project network based on the information provided.
iii. How many days will the project take to complete?
iv. Identify the critical path of this project.
v. Draw the Gantt chart of this project.
4) Identify and briefly discuss the FOUR (4) steps in managing risk.(4 marks)
5) Identify and discuss Three (3) project closure deliverables.(6 marks)
6) Project Control Systems are often used to ensure the quality of project outcomes. Identify and briefly discuss methods (project evaluation, monitoring and control) you could introduce to ensure a project meets the desired outcome and is successful.
Task 2: (60 marks)
Case Study: Your cohort is planning to have a graduation party after completing the undergraduate progamme. As the Project Manager appointed by your faculty, you are in-charge of planning and organising this event.
As the project is currently at the feasibility stage, you are required to provide a project plan to organize the event and to prepare a report (2,300 words) for the faculty’s approval. From a project management perspective, outline the key areas required to successfully manage this project – e.g. Project Scope Statement, Project Priorities, Work Breakdown Structure and Cost Estimation.
The report should demonstrate the skills and competencies required by the Project Manager, along with relevant project management perspectives.
Assignment presentation and assessment
The answers to both tasks are independent and should be addressed separately. Task 1 answer to six questions (700 words) – completed as an individual task Task 2 presented in a report (2,300 words) – completed as an individual task
For your convenience, both tasks should be submitted as one document, which contains both individual tasks.